From forestry to family, BC Tech is a part of our everyday lives.
The British Columbia tech sector is an integral part of our growing, diverse and strong economy. That’s why it’s one of the target sectors in our BC Jobs Plan and why we released the #BCTECH Strategy in January.
The tech sector supports businesses throughout the province, from mining to movies, and everything in between. Technology is essential to business today, so the stronger the sector is, the more competitive business becomes.
Tech doesn’t just support our businesses; it supports our lives. Everything from education, entertainment, environmentally-friendly practices and cutting-edge health treatments are strengthened by the latest developments in technology. Supporting the tech sector improves quality of life and puts British Columbians first.
The #BCTECH Strategy is built on three pillars:
To read about progress made on the 50 initiatives in the strategy, click here.
Quick facts about B.C’s technology sector
- B.C.’s technology sector is growing faster than the overall economy. In 2014, it grew at a rate of 3.3%, a higher rate than the 2.9% growth observed in the provincial economy.
- The tech sector contributes $13.5 billion to B.C.’s gross domestic product and $25.8 billion in revenues.
- Technology companies employ more than 92,700 people with an average wage that is 75% higher than B.C.’s industrial average.
- There are more than 9,700 tech companies operating in B.C.
- To read more about B.C.’s tech sector, click here.
To read the #BCTECH strategy, click here.